Saturday, October 15, 2011

stuffed tomato . . .

Today has not been the very best of days for the 9TS.  I thought maybe I would try Liv's stuffed tomato recipe and see if I could coax him into a case of the munchies. (Not that I am opposed to an occasional lovely grilled Filet Mignon, but for the most, I shy away from beef. My version is all veggie.)

So I halved and gutted a huge tomato:
and started chopping.  The onions, garlic, zucchini, yellow crooked neck squash and mushrooms went flying:

The onion and garlic sauteed until they were soft:
and then everything else was thrown in.  When everything was just this side of crispy:
I added a layer of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs and stirred it all together and stuffed it into the two tomato halves:
Then I covered the whole mess with mucho mozzarella cheese, tented it and threw it in the oven.  Twenty minutes later, I peeled off the tent and set it under the broiler until the cheese bubbled and turned a lovely light brown.

And then we ate:
The 9TS, who resisted the idea of eating, managed a quarter of the veggie goodness.  It is a do-again.  Next time however, I will drop the fresh tomato into boiling water first and skin.  Yummy, yummy, yummy.  Thank you, Liv.

2 comments:

Sue said...

And again you didn't call. Sniff!

Hope the sloth is feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Jeanne,
Too bad you,Flank and I aren't "night owls" together. It's after 3:00 Monday morning and I haven't been to sleep yet. Reading your blog made me hungry. Black Cherry Chocolate ice cream will taste ALMOST as good as your stuffed tomatoes!
I hope today's a good day for you both, WC