Thank goodness yesterday is O.V.E.R. We spent the night in Tampa since we had to be at Moffitt at 7:15 for 9:15 surgery. And because neither of us sleeps well anywhere other than home, there were sleeping pills and chill pills for after dinner snacks. Better living through Chemistry folks. Much better living.
At 6 a.m. my alarm went off and I did my song and dance minus the help of three furry creatures who normally make my morning toilette a little more interesting. Then I scurried down to a breakfast of yogurt and mango infused water. Yummo. The 9TS was pitifully left behind since he was not allowed to munch.
7 a.m., we relinquish the car to the valet . . . . yep, there is one snazzy set up going on over at Moffitt. I counted 15 runners at one time and that was only one of three entrances. Cancer has its privileges. Frankly, I would rather self park if that is the way out of this whole mess . . .
Do I next have to admit that being groggy, we couldn't remember which elevator we needed to take. I voted for B, the 9TS for C. The nice lady at reception pointed out the error of my ways after the 9TS pointed at me and said I had voted for C. He does that all the time. Snort. Up the B elevator we went. He registered and we waited some more and then back into the bowels of the hospital we went.
One thing about Moffitt, they don't stint. They have the coolest new gizmo for keeping patients warm in pre- and post-op. Their gowns have a little flap with a flat nozzle in them and an extra layer of fabric that covers the upper part where your torso is. You just pop the vacuum looking tube into the nozzle and jazam! warm air fills up the pocket and keeps you toasty. And not that it is ever hot in pre-op, this being Florida and all, but you can fill the same pocket with cool air if you are warm. I really wanted to take this system home . . .
After chatting with his nurse, an ancient anesthesiologist who could barely wobble on his feet, the Amazing Dr. Z, and thankfully a young, bright, second anesthesiologist . . . who would actually be working on the 9TS . . . whew! We waited a little longer and then off he went into never, never land.
I wandered back to the waiting room with a nice warm blanket compliments of our nurse. Moffitt is a tad stingy with the heat and I know better but I forgot a sweater.
Two hours later, the amazing Dr. Z came out and told me he did well and everything went as expected. Hooray. A couple more hours and they were pouring the 9TS into the passenger seat of his pride and joy while I slid in behind the wheel. I must admit, the 9TS did his best not to growl at me as I hit the ignition. A quick celebratory stop for MickyD's and we were on our way home crumbs and all.
The 9TS is sore and exhausted, drugged up and safely tucked in bed. All is well in the cave.
Friday, October 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Jeanne,
Glad you are back on your "home turf!" Sounds like it was good news for Frank, at least nothing unexpected.
I'm filling little bags with Halloween candy. I didn't buy the "GOOD" stuff because I eat it! I'm not into gummy eyeballs but the kids are.
WC
Glad to hear you're back home, safe and sound. Hoping the 9TS feels more like his old self quickly.
Hmm, you seem to have left out the part where you made the sore, exhausted, drugged up 9TS catch the evil "dragon" that infiltrated the cave. =P
Post a Comment