I'm really proud of Kidlet. She's had a very hard road.
Last night we went to a grieving seminar by Dr. Alan Wolfelt. Just before he started talking, Kidlet and I agreed to count to ten before we beat the feet out of the hall. I got my forth finger straightened out when Kidlet nudged me and hissed, "give him a chance, mom."
And so we listened to this very insightful man. For two hours . . . which seemed like mere minutes. and when he was done, Kidlet went up to chat with him.
Later in the parking lot, Kidlet announced she was tired of hiding her feelings and . . . well this post on her Facebook, which i asked her to email to me since we are not friends on FB, will explain it all:
And there it is in a nutshell. So on top of mourning the loss of her dad, and having depression, and ADD, and mourning the loss of her fine motor skills from a newly introduced familiar tremor, and having difficulty with a little course called Advanced Calculus, she shattered. Wouldn't you?
Last week she spend five days in the hospital while all the Kings Horses and all the Kings men, tried to put Kidlet together again. She is a work in progress and it's not easy for either of us.
But last night was a really good first step. She's not hiding her illness anymore because she thought she should. I am so proud of her for standing up and telling the world what her life is like. And if the world doesn't understand. Well, you know what I say!!! Will this be magic like snapping your fingers and it all goes away. No. This will be a life long struggle but she knocked down one barrier and again, just a little bit louder, I AM SO PROUD OF HER!!!!!!
Kidlet, I love you~
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Your Kidlet ROCKS!
Hang tough. Both of you!
I am proud of both of you.
Much love and respect from me to you.
xoxo
Kidlet, you are an amazing young woman (with an amazing mother). There shouldn't be any shame in acknowledging an illness, mental or otherwise, nor should it ever define who a person is. Depression is something too many people don't understand. They want to label it as just a bad mood and believe if you just think happy thoughts, you'll be all better. If only! I struggled for over a year with long bouts of very severe depression, was barely able to function (missed a LOT of work because I just physically was unable to pull myself out of bed) and after having a breakdown in front of my supervisor, was referred to a therapist...who told me I just needed to find my happy place when ever I started feeling down. @@ I finally was referred to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as bipolar! And the light bulb went off...I realized how many times in my life, even as a child, I had been depressed! How sad that it took until I was nearly 41 yrs old to get the help I needed. Especially since my father had been diagnosed as manic-depressive when I was 8...and my middle brother was diagnosed as schizophrenic a couple years later!
But, while my life might have been easier and turned out completely different if I had been treated much sooner for my disorder, I am very proud of myself for having gotten through and for who I am, and who I continue to become, because of those struggles.
Kidlet, you are brave, beautiful, and loved. I applaud you for opening yourself up and I will keep you in my prayers because I know that there will be times when life becomes so dark you may lose faith that there will ever be light again. But, I did...and I know you will too.
Post a Comment