Yeah, I am still a little jumpy. Oh hell, I am majorly a mess when it comes to skin cancer.
GET YOURSELF CHECKED!!!!
Did I ever tell you that at the memorial, I made the pastor do a PSA for a visit to the dermatologist. Yep, right in the middle of the service but what the heck, I had a captive audience. I never pass over a good opportunity to get the word out.
When the 9TS was first diagnosed, his local oncologist told us he would probably lose his toe. It was not removed for another five years. Why the wait? Ignorance!
Our first request to go to Moffitt was turned down by our insurance as was a request to Shands. The 9TS liked having ten toes but mostly because we just had no comprehension of the ramifications. We didn't understand the creativity of Mel and Anoma.
Someone asked me recently if the toe had been removed immediately, would the 9TS have survived. There is no answer to that. I do know that had we had an inkling of what was to come, we would have fought an unrelenting battle. But the truth is, we didn't know. The local doctors didn't know. We had no idea we didn't fight hard enough. But having said that, the nature of the beast is such that there is no answer.
So don't bury your head in the sand. Visit your dermatologist. If you think you need a second opinion, get one. Fight for your rights and fight hard.
Done and climbing off my soap box . . . for the moment.
3 comments:
I like it when you climb! And....that was SOME pig! - c
Chiming in with my .02 worth!
Agree 100% with everything Jeanne said. And in addition to getting your skin checked, ladies need to get a mamogram EVERY year starting at age 40, or earlier if there is a history of breast cancer in your family. And we women NEED to make our men go for a prostate exam when they turn 40. You know they won't do it on their own, so hound the crap outta them til they do! Each one takes less than 10 minutes, but it's 10 minutes that can save your life. Or the life of someone you love.
As Jeanne's Mantra says, "Just Do It."
I need to get this done, thanks for the rant!!
Post a Comment