Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Surprises


Ever since I was little, there has been a special kind of joy that only comes from a surprise in the mail.

I love opening the mailbox to find an unannounced package, a little bundle that needs to be examined with care from the outside first, turned over and over in the hands, inspected and touched and mulled over. Then the slow process of opening the package by removing tape or pulling on the strings, the unraveling of paper and twine, the peeking, bit by bit into the inner workings until the box itself is revealed and then the guessing, the gentle shaking, the rotating and wonderment. Once the box is gently pried open, layers of tissue paper and bubble wrap are gently peeled back hinting of the fragileness within. One layer then two and one more as the wrappings fall away until I am holding the last of the bubble wrap plump with its treasure. Gently my fingers revealing their prize, a beautiful hand made Christmas ornament of pink and blue swirls inside a clear glass bulb and hung with soft fat matching fibers, perfect for my tree and its collection of ornaments each with its own special meaning. And then I look again and the laughter bubbles up until my sides ache and the family wants to know if I have lost my mind. The subtle flamingos have become evident and I am hysterical.

Only Michelle could be responsible. Thank you so much for the surprise, the laughter and the friendship. It is a very good day.

No comments: