Tuesday, September 25, 2007

prehistoric leftovers . . .

we got home yesterday afternoon from the hospital and sat Joe down on one kitchen chair next to the sliders with his foot propped up in another. To make a very long story short, we were looking for tile at Lowe's when a huge package of tiles hopped off a shelf and smooshed four toes on his left foot. OWIE!!!! So while Jackie is adjusting ice packs and the cast is hardening, he looks around and spies yet another beastie in our backyard zoo. Meet Mr. O. Possum.
Now I know if you can't say anything nice, you're supposed to say nothing at all, but I can't help it. This beastie has little appeal. He really looks like a relic from a time gone by. And to make matters worse, he was out in broad daylight, loping around in circles. A-round and a-round and a-round. Pretty odd behavior for he who is supposed to be nocturnal. So we decide to call animal control. Now if you live in a REALLY small town and it is after 5:00, you just ring up the warden at home and over he comes, wiping the last remnants of his dinner from the corner of his mouth. Or if you live in a REALLY big town, they work in shifts and someone is always available. But if you live in Goldilocks' town you get an answering machine advising you to leave a message and someone will call you back . . . maybe. REALLY! No matter, Mr. O. Possum finally lopes himself back into the wood. And, well, on closer inspection, if you ignore the rows of sharp looking chompers, he is rather cute and endearing.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

Aren't they the funniest looking things? I used to have one that walked along my fence every night. Back and forth, back and forth. He'd teeter and almost fall, regain his balance and continue his blind trek to nowhere. I don't know where he thought he was going, but it cracked me up. Ever since then I've kinda liked the little guys. Of course the feeling isn't mutual, they are mean!

Anonymous said...

Nasty, mean, vicious creatures, possums. We trapped one that was trying to get into our chicken coop. John killed it. We wanted to be sure, so we left it overnight inside the trap. Next morning, SHE had had a litter or babies. She was dead, but the babies weren't. So they went to possum heaven with their mom.

Another time, I had one chase me up my driveway when I went out to get the paper before daylight. Guess it thought I was trying to horn in on it's nocturnal hunting. Ummm, NOT!!

Sue

Anonymous said...

I like 'em, but then, I've never had an encounter with them...