Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Savannah Day 1 . . .

We ran away. Savannah to be exact. I love the process of hotel selection. Even with today's technology, it is still only slightly better than throwing a dart and going wherever it lands. This time however, we hit the bulls eye: The Marshall House.

Got to love this room . . built in 1851 it still has the original floor boards. Yes, they decidedly tilt one way or the other but they are stunning in their age old patina. And the brick fireplace, although no longer functional added to the ambiance. Loved the 18" high base boards and the crown molding was to die for. The color scheme . . . everything . . . I want this room. The place is haunted, or so they say. During the end of the civil war, it was used as a yellow fever hospital.


Happily, no one shared the room but the two of us . . . still, the possibilities . . . .

Downstairs, they served breakfast in the original atrium . . . now covered and wine and cheese off the lobby.





The staff was perfect . . . no exceptions. I was a happy camper, especially since this was the least expensive of the historic district options.

Since the room was not ready when we arrived, we walked down to River Street for lunch and a quick trip on the paddle wheeler. I can now safely say I have seen and heard my fill of the foibles of container shipping on the Savannah River. Sigh.




Dinner downtown and yep, there I was taking shots of the interior walls. They just shook their heads and blamed it on tourism . . . hee hee hee.


Back to the hotel for some well earned sleep.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I am smiling. Enjoy your stay.

Anke said...

wow, what a fun trip! Your pictures are great and I really enjoy your story telling!