Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A new life . . .


Remember the old iron bench I rescued from imminent death and reupholstered and put in the living room and hated?? It has finally been resuscitated and now lives in the bedroom . . . and I love it. Not only do I love it but it has become very practical from a cat's eye point of view. Bru is getting old and has issues and lately more often than not, his intended leap onto the bed results in a soft thump followed but a slither and then a louder thump as he careens off the side of the bed and lands on the floor. No more. A graceful hop to the bench and an equally smooth step to the bed and he is ready to snooze with the rest of us. But of course, how does one reupholster the bench and not the cornice boards . . . or for that matter, the chair? Yes, I bought a more muted fabric for the chair while we were out. "The chair" . . . let's take a side trip here. Frank and I are avid Antique Road Show fanatics. We always imagine somewhere in the house is a treasure that will support us in a manner to which we have never been accustomed. After watching for a few years, Frank announces that our chair is a Gustav Stickley. While I am giggling at him, he proceeds to flip over the chair and read Stickley burned into one of the rungs on the side. He is ecstatic. However, after a little Googling, it seems that yes, it is a Stickley, but not Gustav's and probably mass produced. Sigh. And we had such plans for that fortune lol. Back to the issue at hand. Yes, I took the same fabric I used on the bench and did one of the two cornice boards. I'm happy with that too. Tomorrow I will tackle the second cornice board that is wider than the fabric and so needs to be pieced. Aarrghhh. I can do it. I can do it. Arrrgghhh. Grumble, grumble. But all in all, I am really proud of myself and my nest. It's been a good day in the cave. What'd ya think?

No comments: