Sunday, April 22, 2007
"take time to be quiet"
I just ran across that quote and it reminded me that sometimes I go full tilt and don't stop to hear the life that goes on around me. So laying here quietly in early evening, I am listening . . . and the sounds are amazing. With two opposing windows open, I hear a symphony. The crows are mad about something and chattering their disgust from the tall pines behind the house, raising quite a din, while the morning dove is hoo hoo-ing his evening song out front. In the distance, a train is whistling his warning and I know soon I will hear the clatter on the tracks. Now and then a plane passes overhead with its' engines whirring through the clouds. I wonder where they are headed and if the passengers are excited about their new adventure or tired and glad to be headed home. The neighbors air condition unit is humming along, reminding us that soon the heat will be unbearable and summer is on its' way. From the next room, I hear Frank paging through the Sunday paper. I know by heart which sections are his favorites and which ones he barely glances at. It's nice to know he is there. Solid sounds reminding me that my life has a rhythm of its own. What do you hear?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like to sit and listen to the sounds too but like you I don't do it often enough! What was nice though was Friday afternoon after Arthur was over the kids turned off the tv and we all sat there reading books and listening to the noises coming in from the open windows. I guess we wouldn't appreciate those "zen" moments if they happened too often but I do wish there were more of them!
Michelle
Post a Comment