It's been an odd day all around. Ran to the gym early, just to get it over with. Back home before Frank's even awake . . . shower and head out to run errands. I get no further then the entrance to the neighborhood and realized I have forgotten my cell phone. Do I really need it? Why would I need to call someone that couldn't wait until I got home? I am neurotic, that's why. I need my cell. Turn around, pull in the drive, hit the remote . . . the garage door starts to go up, then stops and heads down again. I tap the button again and up it goes, down it goes. I thump the button hoping to make it rise higher. No deal. After initial lift off, it sags back to earth. Huh? Duh!!!! Frank is on the inside trying to get out to go to his gym, while I am on the outside trying to get in. Tug of war with the remotes. Silly.
Run in grab my cell and head to Goodwill, the first stop on my list . . . I am donating my skinny clothes. Someone needs to get some use out of them . . . it certainly doesn't seem to be me. Finishing there, I pull out down the narrow side road. It's a beautiful day, I'm in a good mood and I have a lead foot. Oops. Right in front of a cop. Did he see me? Please don't turn on those flashers . . . . Darn it, I said "please"!!! So I pull over and he asks the inevitable question: "Do you know why I stopped you?". It isn't exactly like I haven't heard those words before. I know I should do better. I do try. But there is something about good weather, a little red Miata and sigh . . . well, that's me. Double sigh. As he heads to his car to write me up, my options spin in my head. How many more "gimmes" do I get before I can no longer opt for school versus points???? Aren't I at my limit? So I call Frank. Being a retired police chief, he gets some perverse enjoyment out of these calls. I listen to his giggle turn to a full throated chortle before I hang up on him. Back comes the officer. He hands me the paper work and nonchalantly announces that with the new increases, the fine is now $400. Thunk! My jaw hits the steering wheel. I feel light headed. Then he breaks into a slow grin. "Just kidding ma'am!" "Oh, and by the way, I am just giving you a warning." I stare at the paperwork. Yep, this warm hearted soul has refrained from writing me a ticket. I am safe. At least for today. As I get back into traffic, I start to think about karma. Did he see me pull out of Goodwill's drop off? He could have. Then again, maybe not. Either way, I hope someone does something nice for him today.
After stops at the library, dry cleaners and hardware store . . . which just so happens to be next door to Frank's gym, I can't resist popping in and waving my warning ticket under his nose. I know I shouldn't, but I can't resist. It feels too good.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Jeanne,
I read this post last night and again this morning. I'm still laughing. Not AT you....WITH you. You ARE laughing, right???
Paula
Omg, that could have been me, only I probably wouldn't get a warning, never works for me (and I even go to Goodwill too). Lucky duck you, you had me in stitches here. You have such a way of telling your stories, you should write books!
Post a Comment