Friday night, while out to dinner, Katie texted to say what a loud kitten Pippin turned out to be. She yowled all night. By Saturday afternoon, we thought she might be having trouble passing something she shouldn't have eaten and so we followed her every trip to the litter box. Picture two grown adults peering down at a small kitten, eyes and ears still too big for her head, trying to do her thing with spectators vying for the best seat in the house. I would have howled too. But, everything seemed normal in that respect.
By late Saturday night, she was really singing, and rubbing on everyone and everything . . . very affectionate but noisy. She started doing a little dance with her tail and rump in the air, back paws marching to some inner beat, punctuated by her ear splitting cacophonous vocals. Both the 9TS and I were worried about the little pipsqueak.
At 3:00 a.m. the light bulb finally went off. Could little Pippin be in heat? I have no point of reference for this having raised nothing but males until Ninja and she was spayed prior to starting her . . . erm . . . cycle. My suspicions were growing. I might add that Pippin too, has an appointment with destiny on Wednesday morning. Apparently, I had pissed off Mother Nature and she was implementing her revenge. As it happens, YouTube has a plethora of videos available on "queen's" hot to trot. Too much information!
Sunday was anything but quiet in the cave.
This morning, I was on the phone with the vet's office at 7:30 a.m. which ended with a spontaneous trip in to eliminate any other possibilities. The verdict? Pip is definitely in heat.
Wednesday can not come too soon. I swear every Tom, Dick, Harry and Fluffy are lined up behind the house holding an office pool to see who gets first dibs. Not with my sweet baby, you cads. There will be no pre-teen pregnancies in this house!!
So now if the 9TS and I can only get a little sleep and survive the next 48 hours, hearing intact, all will be right with the world.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh no, there's nothing worse than that sound a cat in heat makes. I don't have any cats but I've certainly heard many of them outside before. Reminds me of nails on a chalkboard. Good luck and way to go not letting Pip near those "cads!"
Post a Comment