Tuesday, March 27, 2012

when . . .

Kidlet went to college, I thought I would finally have the bathroom to myself.

From the time she could navigate on her own, my days of privacy were numbered.  If I was in the bathroom, she was in the bathroom.  For a while there, if I was in the tub, she was in the tub.  Thankfully, she finally got too big for those shenanigans but the room was always, always doubly occupied. 

When she hit middle school, I thought I would have some peace and quiet.  How wrong I was.  Some of our deepest conversations were held within reach of the porcelain goddess.  Tears were shed, wails heard, hugs given.  The drama of 6th, 7th and 8th grade played out in technicolor within the confines of our upstairs bathroom. 

High school.  In high school surely it would once again become my sanctuary.  Gah!  Again it was not to be.  The 'facilites' became neutral territory where Kidlet grew from childhood to adult.  Secrets were shared, questions asked. Advice flowed . . . some ignored, some taken.  but tranquility?  not so much.

When she went to college, I thought finally.  Finally, it would be mine.  But it seems the 9TS was just biding his time until she left and he could move in.  Whether I was happily soaking, brushing my teeth, or fooling with my hair, the sloth felt no remorse, in he would come.

And now.  Now?  The house is empty.  Peace is mine.  Right? 
 Not, apparently, in this life time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to look twice....but I finally got it!! Hahahaaa....Some things are just not meant to be, Jeanne!!

Paula

Anonymous said...

You gave a good chuckle this morning! LOL
Leonore