Sunday, December 21, 2008

double dawg dork . . .

So I have been playing with my new camera for nigh on two weeks and should by now be blissfully ecstatic with the wonders of 15 mega pixels. I am not. Frustrated beyond belief, I head back, tail between my legs, to the store to talk to their wondrous guru. My shots are a mess, mostly out of focus, markedly less perfect then my poor but trusty 6 mega pixel dRebel. Even the 9TS has been relegated into the fray and asked to take the same shots, same settings, with his XT. Again, he is getting better shots.

Guru is not there. Mini guru plays with the camera . . . takes sample shots . . . says it is fine. Guru will be in at 3:30 . . . can I come back with samples. Note: I had just emptied my card thinking they would not enjoy a bunch of test shots of my toes . . . Home we go. I am out molesting my neighbors flowers, first with the 50D and then with my dRebel. Pull up the shots and once again, my dRebel's are consistently clear and precise, the other . . . not so much. But what brings joy into my misguided heart are the shots mini guru took in the store . . . they are a mess too.

Back to the store armed with the 15mpm (mega pixel monster) and my laptop to bare my soul to the guru. She plays with the camera . . . frowns and asks to see samples. I open lappy and display the goods. One look at mini guru's shots and she mutters, "camera shake". Good grief, am I so decrepit that I cannot hold a camera steady and mini guru looks to be 12, what is his excuse. I am in deep trouble. I pull up some beach scenes. Guru's eyes follow mine as she patiently points out what small corner of each shot is indeed in perfect focus. Huh?!?!?!

I must preface with a quick note. I can, painstakingly, shoot in manual. I am just lazy and quiver at the anticipation of instant gratification, so for the most part, I shoot in auto. While my dRebel has seven focal points, the '15mpm' has almost double that amount. Meaning, my dRebel's brain has less choices and therefore produces a higher ratio of stunning shots. The '15mpm' however considers 11 focal options and picks what it likes best. The problem is that it's choices and my choices are not always on the same wave length. The cure? Put the wretched beast on P and set the focal points myself. Duh! Why did I not think of that. It is excruciating painful how slow my brain is. Imagine if I had 11 focal points? On second thought, maybe I do. Maybe that is why my life is 'dazed and confused' . . . ya think?

No comments: