Friday, December 19, 2008

so much for me and baking . . .

I much prefer when my neighbor Nancy comes knocking with marvelous trays overflowing and oozing with goodness of multiple varieties but since I couldn't very well ask her to make my Christmas cookies that needed to be distributed this morning, I was up at the crack of dawn rattling around in the kitchen much to the annoyance of the 9TS who doesn't even know those hours exist.

What I needed was two batches of cinnamon oatmeal cookies:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2.5 cups quick cooking oats
1 10 ounce bag Hershey's cinnamon chips.

Heat oven to 350. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla: beat well. Combine flour and baking soda: add to butter mixture, beat well. Stir in oats and chips. Batter will be stiff. Spread batter into lightly greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and cut into bars. Gain 20 pounds.

All went reasonably well with the first batch. My oven is running a little cool and they needed an extra five minutes but otherwise, ah, the aroma . . .

Batch two was underway when I realized I did not have enough oats. ACK. Quick change of plans. Batch two will now be Mint Chocolate Toll House cookies. Another favorite. I start mixing the dry ingredients and wonder why the amount of flour in the bowl seems to have exponentially increased. I re-measure with the 9TS helping me keep count. I add the salt and baking soda and wonder why it still looks off kilter. Finally I check my measuring cup and realize I have used the wrong size. Grrrr. With the other ingredients already mixed in, I have no other choice but to dump . . . I am now out of flour. Run to the store. Start again. By now of course, I am running late and still have to package said goodies for delivery.

The thing that makes it all worth while are the smiles and thanks on the other end. The tradition so firmly entrenched that happy voices say in chorus, "Ohhhhh, I know what's in there." And think, in all these years, I have yet to poison one soul. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jeanne,

Did you lose my address again???
Just wondering!

Paula