Wednesday, June 23, 2010

olbia . . .

OK, not on the top of my list.  Definitely should have taken a tour to the Costa Smeralda.  Olbia reminded me of some poor, grubby, forgotten town.  Sigh. 

But of course I had to keep clicking away:

 and then there was this guy . . .  it really wasn't his fault.  Truly!

Can you stand the story, she asked, while forging on?  The  9TS was not feeling well and so we plopped down in the middle of a square and in the course of taking in our surroundings, there was a small cafe.  Slurp!  We wandered over and enjoyed.  Finally, I asked the waiter where the bathroom was.  We sort of had a language barrier.  I don't speak any dialect of Sardinian and he spoke no English.  I am so happy the word 'beer' translates so well.

He gave me a key and pointed to a door.  The door didn't need a key but let me into a little foyer, with two doors.  Both named.  Not in English, nor Italian nor French.  No universal pictures.  Hum.  I chose door number one.  No key needed.  Now as an aside, the 9TS has been suffering with a UTI for almost a month now, which mean we have seen the inside of a lot of bathrooms on this trip.  Some more rudimentary than others.  This one belonged in that category.  I found myself facing a porcelain hole in the floor.  A sort of bowl with foot markers on either side.  Ut oh.  I did the best I could and fled. 

Now in retrospect, it could have been that the key fit the lock in the other door.  I may have been in the men's room.  Who knows.  Why did I have to leave my camera with the 9TS???

We hotfooted it back to the ship and assuaged ourselves with chocolate shakes while napping in the shade. 

1 comment:

Sue said...

We found LOTS of squat toilets when we were in Japan.