But Mother Nature had other ideas. We woke in Portovenere to 60 degree temps, choppy seas and nasty rain. The ship's tour to the five cities of Cinque Terre had been canceled, as had all the public ferries. No way was I missing a port, so new plans were called for but quick.
Donning our .88 cent, easily packable plastic ponchos from Wally-World and a camera cover, the 9TS and I boarded the tender for shore.
The wind and rain were wild and woolly . . . and cold, but eerily compelling. We walked to the top of Andria Doria Castle
and the views were just amazing. You could feel the ages through the hand wrought stones of the steps and the walls. The lover's locks,
the statuary,
Byron's Cave . . . now collapsed,
the views from here:
and here:
I can't imagine it looking any better than it did in the cold and wet. Note: Cinque Terre is still on my bucket list.
1 comment:
Seems it was made even better by the rain.
Post a Comment