Tuesday, July 20, 2010

on not being a grandmother . . .

Katie is not pregnant.  Not that we ever thought she was.  But it sure was fun to announce it to the 9TS in the middle of the Walmart parking lot and watch his face go from normal to white to red and then watch him start to breathe again.  OK, we have a singularly warped sense of humor.  Let's back up.

Katie has been complaining of a lower back ache for a couple of months now but when I saw her chomping on Tylenol repeatedly during our vacation, it was time to call our primary care physician.  His office is manned by three doctors.  Two are in the office all week while the third is doing hospital rounds and they rotate.  However, one of the doctors is out on maternity leave so that leaves the two remaining: one in the office, one at the hospital.  To save time, her doctor just called in the orders for an X-ray and off we headed. 

The first thing the tech asked as soon as she saw my diminutive 22 year old was, "Any chance you could be pregnant?"  I look at Katie and Katie looks at me and she says, "I don't think so."  That was not good enough for the tech and she shooed us off to the lab for a pregnancy test.  Of course we were giggling like little kids and making stupid jokes . . .

Even the tech was giggling by the time she told us what we already knew.  I am definitely not going to be a grandmother.  But that didn't stop us from terrorizing the 9TS.  That was five hours ago and he's still glowering at us. 

2 comments:

Sue said...

You are so very bad! Sounds totally like something I'd do.

Unknown said...

You crack me up! Better luck next time! LOL I have 6 of them. Should I rent some out to you? LOL