Wednesday, September 22, 2010

at last . . .

starting Monday, the cave will be cleaner and shinier and more spotless than in any of the years since we moved in.  It is reported that the couple we bought the house from started cleaning on Saturday mornings and did not stop until everything had been polished to a high shine . . . except of course, the carpeting, which would be, just plain silly.  Somehow, I managed to take that enthusiasm to a new low.  Nary a rag has flown since that day in September back in 1994.

I am getting help!!!  No, let's tell the truth.  I probably will not help at all.  She will work, the cats will shed, and I will do whatever it is that keeps me far distant from anything resembling dust, cat hair, ring around the tub or a vacuum cleaner.

Tomorrow, I will head out with a list of all the cleaning supplies she requires.  I will probably have to borrow a truck  . . .  it seems I am supply challenged . . . the one empty cabinet in the entire house being labeled:  Cleansers.   

In truth, I have made two other forays into the world of domestic assistance.   My first husband hired one of those brand companies to help me out after Katie decided to make her grand debut via C-Section.  That lasted all of two weeks.  Somehow they seemed to confuse the Windex with the furniture polish and it was more trouble than it was worth.

The second was a referral from a friend and as it turns out, the girl just happened to be married to an acquaintance.  The best part was that for $20 she would pop in every two weeks and leave things spotless.  Unfortunately spotless had a new meaning and the missing things left a spot if you get my drift.


That was twenty some odd years and a mountain of dirt ago.  This woman seems to know her Endust from her Glass-Plus and works for several of my neighbors who are happy with her ability.

Like her predecessor, she will come every two weeks . . .  I would prefer to see her shining face more often, but the economy just  . . . well, you know . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't make up my mind. You are either dirtier or cleaner than I am. My "girl" only comes once a month. She comes on a Wednesday and I'm gone on my Wednesday "Adventure." When I come home everything looks clean and smells great! What more could I ask for?
WC

Unknown said...

Hiring a cleaning lady years ago made for much better weekends. My hubby & I both work full time and gave up cleaning on the weekends for more leisure time! I've had the same wonderful gal for over 10 years now! Oh....and once a week! Husband, kids, grandkids....yep, once/week for me!

Unknown said...

Forgot to tell you I'm so happy you're getting someone! You'll love it and hopefully this new one, the 3rd one, will be the charm! Good luck & enjoy!!

Sue said...

Good for you! If she likes to fold clothes, would you send her to the other side of the state when she finishes with you please?!

Anke said...

Getting help like that is the best! Mine comes every week and I am telling you, we need her! Now, she is not perfect but as perfect as I need her to be :) Good luck