. . . Christmas dinner in an Italian household is a treat. Yep, we are celebrating Christmas Eve dinner . . feast of the seven fishes, tonight. It was the only time we could get all three of Frank's kids, their spouses, his brother and SIL and us, in one place, at one time. So there will be eleven of us for dinner crammed at our dining room table. Three 'leaves' later and my longest table cloth is just a tad short . . . but that's OK. No one cares.
So I did my normal cleaning job . . . hiding the dust under rugs, etc. Boiled the shrimp this morning, made the salad and the dip and am waiting for the garlic to roast before I make the garlic bread. Frank is doing all the rest. I mean ALL the rest. He is making:
Baccala sauteed in olive oil with red pepper flakes
Cod soup
Stuffed Airships (calamari)
Italian hush puppies . . . think fried diced clams, bread crumbs, spices in little balls
Meat balls made with pork, veal and beef
Gravy with country ribs and sausage for the spaghetti and stuffed manicotti
Fried Smelts and
Mussels
Wooo-eeeeee. If the table doesn't cave in, it will be a miracle. Oh and for you purists out there, yes, we eat meat at this meal. I, however, will seat myself in front of the stuffed manicotti and threaten anyone who comes near, with a fist holding a very pointy fork . . . it is to die for.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm just wondering if I leave now.....will there be food left by the time I get there?
Sounds DIVINE!
If there are any stuffed airships left, PLEASE send them to me! A hundred years ago when I was a seafood manager for the grocery store, I had an Italian woman who would bring me her stuffed airships every Christmas Eve. It was like Mannah from Heaven!
And I will be stuffing dust and cat hair bunnies under my rugs today. Feel free to come assist! I'll leave the front door unlocked!
I'm sitting here drooling now. Again I wish I didn't live so far away!
Michelle
What is baccala? And I'd take some manicotti, please? But I'd have to pass on the cod soup and smelts...although I'm sure they are quite tasty, just not my thing, ya know? Enjoy your feast...and the time with the family.
What do you mean Frank's "three" children? Do I not count?!?!
Haha - Craig was bored till I got there =P
Post a Comment