Saturday, December 8, 2007

small town parades . . .

gotta love them. Ours was tonight so Frank and I headed out . . . scored a corner section of curbing and plopped down to wait for the start. Didn't take long. With roads blocked off . . . police sirens wailing . . . kids jumping up and down with glee, we could see the first of the parade.


Then came the obligatory mayor, all the area representatives, beauty contest winners and then what I love best, the kids .
Why the karate kids? Glad you asked. That's our granddaughter on the far left. She had just tested this morning for her blue belt and kicked butt!!!! Yeah Kaity.
And of course you have to have Santa
and as with all home town parades, you have to have your home town oddities. Love this one.
and so if your Christmas spirit is still lacking, I dare you not to grin at this fellow.
God bless small towns, cities, villages, burgs and everything in between . . . may the memories stay bright.

2 comments:

Sue said...

My favorite small town parade is the one in Pigeon Forge, TN that they have every year for the season opening of Dollywood. Dolly herself is the Grand Marshall and every baton twirling, cheer leading little girl and Scout boy is in that parade. My favorite float? The giant sized grocery shopping cart sponsored by Kroger! The man driving it operates it from the kiddy seat in the front! And the basket is filled with Kroger employees and their kids.

Kelli said...

I could never get into parades, but your pictures and blog made me want to go to one! I'm always concerned I'll run into a rogue clown. ::snort::

WTG Kaity! Blue belt is FANTASTIC!!!!