Sunday, June 14, 2009

Florence and Pisa . . .

After an hour and a half drive, our tour bus arrived in Florence where we were met by this gentleman . . . .



who proceeded to expound on the city of Florence as if he were a walking encyclopedia. I admit to tuning him out after the first fifteen minutes as I gawked at all there was to see.

Architecture galore . . . .



And a copy of the statue of David . . . .



And a statue of Leonardo . . . .



and another of Leo . . . . maybe.



I loved these guys dressed as statues.



So now you know the truth. You can pick me up and plop me down in the center of culture and I am still going to snarf out the oddities. Sigh, I am hopeless.

Back on the bus to Pisa. I have to admit, in my mind's eye, I pictured the Tower standing in a field by itself. Not crushed in between rows and rows of cheap schlock. The tower gets an A+, the miles of junk shops . . .



And last but certainly not least . . . a very happy birthday to Katie, my one and only Goober.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could you imagine? Those statues, carved from on slab of marble (or whatever), with the clothing made to look as if it were fabric draping on the stone. That was carved by human hands. Amazing!
And I had a very happy birthday (though it was better when you guys were back).

- Goober

Michelle said...

I think the oddities are often the best part!