Monday, June 8, 2009

Santorini . . .

Back to the preconceived notions . . . the prime destination on my bucket list was Santorini. Don't ask why, once again, I have no clue. All I know are the images I see of pristine white buildings with blue domes . . . and that Oia is known for its magnificent sunsets. So as I finally dig down and start to do my homework on Santorini, I realize that the island is actually the rim of an ancient volcano and that both the capital, Fira and Oia, are perched on the edge of the Caldera. Perched as in you must find a way up to them. There are three choices . . . walking, funicular or donkey. While the 9TS was game for an animal adventure, I took one look at the beasties and the winding steps and scrambled over to the funicular . . . it looking none to safe in its own right.

Up we went.



EEK, don't look down.



I told you not to look.

Because I had my heart set on seeing Oia, and because I still had not lost my fear of missing the boat, we followed the directions I had gleaned from the net and headed to the bus station in Fira. With standing room only and the seemingly Greek passion for speeding around tight corners hundreds of feet above sea level without guard rails, I was starting to think the donkeys might have been a better mode of transportation. We made it to Oia in one piece. I can't say the same for the poor chap who had slithered to the floor suffering from a bout of motion sickness brought about no doubt but the wretched swaying of the bus . . .

Oia was worth the ride. Stunning views over the Caldera. Just amazing.



oh my . .




gasp . . .



and the town itself . . . this is typical . . .



But as brilliant as the scenery was, neither the 9TS nor I were willing to get on that bus again. We hopped a cab with another couple and prayed for safe passage.

Back in Fira, it was time to wander and explore. Clinging to a hillside, we climbed endless stairs and gawked at both the views and the shopping.



The views won hands down.



and this was the view at which we gawked while slurping . . .



Oh, and just in case you thought I was wimping out on the donkeys . . . I was.


2 comments:

Sue said...

There are some things better left to my imagination. No way in hell-o would you have gotten me on ANY of the options.

It is stunningly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

OMG...I'd need a clunk over the head to ride the funicular...or the donkeys...but you're right, it was worth it!!!