Monday, August 23, 2010

1958 . . . 2010 . . .

I think I told you somewhere along the line, that my parents went for a walk one day when I was in 4th grade and came home announcing they had bought a house and we were moving.  I was not enthralled.  I loved this little house:

It was built in 1942, a wedding present from my grandfather to my parents.  It was small and cozy and just perfect!!!  Both my sister and my rooms were on the second floor tucked under the eaves.  Remember the ever popular rose trellis patterned wall paper.  Yep, we had it.  Each room had a door to the attic and if we wrangled and wiggled all the storage stuff around, we could squeeze through from one room to the other.  Not something I think our parents had in mind when they sent us to our respective rooms.

But I digress.  Lets go forward to 1958 and that walk of doom and the house on the lake.  No more slow walks down down Cedar Road to The South Beach each summer morning.  No more hot footing it back over the baking pavement late in the afternoons.  I was devastated.

Now, let's fast forward to August 2010 with me cruising the web.  The house on the lake is once more for sale.  I found some shots.  Sorry they are blurry but I stole them from here.



Pretty sweet, huh?  Well, before you get all excited, this is NOT the house I grew up in from 4th grade through college.  This is what happens when you live in the land of McMansions.  Yes, they kept the footing of our house but everything else is totally different.  When my dad finally sold the house in 1990, they added a third floor, punched out huge windows and moved all the walls.  I barely recognized anything from the original structure.  Now, the yearly taxes are almost double what my parents paid for it originally.  EEK!!!

So what did it look like when we lived there.  Take a gander:
A little different don't you think?  I do miss all of those dogwoods.   And just for the heck of it, this is me in 1958:
and yes, I finally adapted to life on the lake.  We sailed, canoed, fished, skated and hot footed it down to The West Beach all summer long.  But the truth is, I still love the little house on Cedar Road and if any one came along and gave me a do-over, I wouldn't take it.  Life was just too good in the 50's.

2 comments:

Sue said...

OMG! How cute were you?

Unknown said...

Love your little cute photo! I can hardly believe that was the same house at the lake.....wow! But I love your memories of your little beloved house the best! Aren't memories great?!