Most mornings, I wake up, grab my laptop, check my email, and read my stash of what I have classified as "odd blogs'. They are not really odd, they are just a few bloggers I have tripped over in my surfing that have struck my fancy and whom I now read on a consistent basis: the Nienie Dialogues being one. This morning, Stephanie, a burn survivor, was chatting about her kankles if she stands to long. Kankles, if you are not familiar with them, are calves that become feet without taking an ankle break.
She gets them from poor circulation, having been burned over 83% of her body. I, on the other hand, having never been in a horrific plane crash, get mine genetically. Although I look exactly like my father, I was blessed . . . ??? . . . with my mother's kankles. Gee, thanks, mom. I never really thought that much about them until, when in my freshman year of college, some smart football jock called me "kankles" for the first time . . . . ouch!!! And, no, they aren't very pretty and I can't wear ankle bracelets because I would have to buy them in the necklace department. But, the darn things hold me up and I can walk, run, dance and trip over them, with the best of you, so in the long run, I don't mind them. Katie, did not inherit them. She, instead, is double jointed all over. A parlor trick she loves to show off . . .
Anyway, that was odd thought number uno. Odd thought number two came while I was bathing . . . something I am never allowed to do alone. Bear comes in first, stands over the side of the tub, stirs the water with his huge webbed foot and proceeds to drink from the puddle he has captured in his paw. As soon as he is done, Ninj comes along and daintily dangles her front paws and nose into the water and laps her intake with her little pink tongue. Poor tiny Pippin is last and not anywhere big enough to reach over the edge to drink and still have her back paws on the floor. Instead, she hops up on her food container, wanders to the corner of the tub with there is more room, leans over and literally licks the water droplets off my eyebrows. It is all rather disconcerting and . . . well . . . odd.
And since things come in three's, when I finally looked in the mirror this morning, to brush my teeth, I saw my reflection and did a double take. My hair was recolored yesterday and this morning, Sharon Osbourne, stared back at me. My hair, until it has been washed some 48 hours later, has not had a chance to mellow back to its normal natural redness minus the gray and is currently an odd shade of maroon . . . while my scalp is tinted decidedly orange. Altogether not a good look . . .
Oh, and I might just as well add a fourth that has been bothering me for a bit. The other night, the 9TS showed me something he discovered about his left foot since the surgery. Without the tendons of the middle toe, the next toe in has lost its stability and become a little loose in the base meaning it can just about do a complete 360 spin. And apparently, so can the toe of the other side of the gap.
So next time you come to visit, we will have an old timey family side show and treat you to a exhibition of lapping cats, double jointedness, whirling toes and genetic kankles. Fun huh?
But the question begs to be asked. Does anyone else ever have odd thoughts on Tuesday mornings??? Do tell! please.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jeanne,
Invite me,I have no joint in big toe and next 2 toes. Yes, they rotate and flap. Sometimes they turn under and I step on them. My sister used to laugh at me walking barefoot.I'm sure that will be another Yoga Ya Ya discovery! I like 9TS and I've never met him but.....I ALWAYS HAVE ODD THOUGHTS!
Lee
Post a Comment