Thursday, February 3, 2011

thread and needles . . .

My poor sewing machine has been on the fritz for a long time now. I've not done anything about it since it is 52 years old. Yep, I inherited it from my mother. She used it to make most of my clothes for elementary school. It went to boarding school with me and to college. It made most of my maternity clothes, the majority of the Kidlet's baby clothes, even my Christmas cards two years ago.

And lately, things have been piling up that need attention. New curtains for the window panel adjoining the front door, new pillow shams for my bedroom, a cute pattern still unused for a mid length cotton skirt. A tote whose fabric I purchased last year.

But apparently nothing compelling enough for me to actually do something about it. My guess was the power cord since before it died completely, if I jiggled the cord, it would occasionally start to work. That and I blew its 52 year old bulb. The bulb was an easy replacement. The cord, not so much, but after scouring the internet and phoning around locally, I discovered a little shop several towns south which seemed to have the proper replacement cord. The 9TS hauled my all metal, monster weighing machine to the Vette and off we went.

The gregarious repair man extolled the virtues of older machines as he fiddled with the cord and finally got the new one installed. We collectively held our breaths as he plugged her in and flicked on the switch. And then there was light!!!!

We are back in business for a paltry $10 bucks. And why was I so stoked on getting my machine fixed after all these months???

This!

from Karenika's blog here. In fact, take a look around and almost all of her projects involve sewing. And if I look back at all of the digital layouts I have done, there is stitching in almost every single one.

So tomorrow morning as soon as I get home from an appointment, I am going to play. And I couldn't be happier. Thanks for the push, Karen. I needed it.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Those tags are ADORABLE!!!