Thursday, November 17, 2011

Slurp . . .

I knew I was in for culinary delights this week when not one, but two, fresh basil plants hopped in my shopping cart.  The first was used Tuesday night in a wonderful Caprese salad with fresh off the floor mozzarella, thinly sliced basil, and ripe tomatoes, drizzled with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar.  And, I do mean fresh off the floor.  The container of fresh mozzarella balls was apparently practicing its full gainer with a half twist when I opened the refrigerator door.  Splat!  Of course the lid popped open, the inner seal forgot its purpose and rotund blobs of mozzarella took off, while their slightly slimy preservation liquid spread like a tsunami across my kitchen floor.  I claimed the three second rule and corralled those critters tout de suite.  Don't tell.

Tonight saw the demise of a perfectly beautiful aubergine.  However, my little eggplants, the 9TS and I are diametrically opposed when it comes to its consumption.  While we both start out browning the egg and breadcrumbed little disks in hot olive oil, his continue on to be stacked in double layers of marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella . . . popped in the oven for ten minutes and served with a bowl of steaming ziti!  Mine however get lightly dusted with kosher salt and are served with a side smear of herbed goat cheese and a ramekin of chiffonade basil drizzled with olive oil and red pepper flakes.  I ate it all!  And the 9TS ate the majority of his.  YAY Sloth!!!

Sunday night, we will be dining on a baked ziti and sausage casserole liberally imbedded with fresh basil and ricotta.  Slurp!

OK, so maybe you are more in tune with Kidlet's taste buds.  Most anything dipped in chocolate or brown gravy will light her fire.  Although even those two fail when it comes to eggplant, brussel sprouts or escargot.  If that's the case, while I slurp, you can crawl in the corner with a jar of Nutella.  I won't tell.

No comments: