Monday, September 24, 2012

I love Greek salad so if I don't feel like cooking, I often pop down to Panera's for one of theirs with a hunk of fresh bread and a large iced tea.  Then I thought, how hard can it be to find a good recipe for the dressing?  If I make my own, I can slip in more feta and kalamata olives and nix the raw onion . . . and my tomatoes will be fresher.  Yep, I am picky. 

So I scrounged around and found this recipe.  I started reading the reviews and figured 1069 people couldn't be wrong.   The only itch was that some of those that used the recipe complained about the vinegary-ness of it.  And, I really didn't need a gallon of the goop.  Plowing on through the comments, some kind soul left her recipe, cutting the vinegar and rescaling the proportions to fit in a standard sized cruet.  Thank you kind soul, thank you. 

Greek Salad Dressing:

8 Tbs (4 oz) extra virgin olive oil,
1 tsp garlic powder,
1 tsp dried oregano,
1 tsp dried basil,
3/4 tsp pepper,
3/4 tsp salt,
3/4 tsp onion powder,
1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard,
 5.5 Tbs (2-3/4 oz) red wine vinegar. 

Kind soul #2 came up with these little words of wisdom and I was totally a happy camper.

 **For an extra-tasty Greek salad, put the desired amount of dressing in a small bowl, and add at least 1/2 the amount of feta you plan to use. Stir gently, then let it sit 15 minutes or more before adding to the traditional salad ingredients.

************************************************************************

When Kidlet was down earlier in the month, she went to the dermatologist for a checkup.  She wasn't happy with something on her foot and things on the skin make this household a little jumpy.  Friday, I got a call from the office saying that the biopsy they did on her back came back precancerous and they needed to do some more digging.  Then he put me on hold, came back and said, nope, they got clear margins.

I was clinging to the ceiling when I asked Sean to be very specific and explain once again what a precancer was . . . not like I haven't had a bunch removed along with Basil cell and Squamous cell cancers, but this was, after all, Kidlet.  His explanation was that if left untreated, the spot would have a 10 - 15% chance of turning into cancer sometime during her life time.  When I asked what kind of cancer, my stomach did a flop when he said Mel and his cousin Anoma.  My heartbeat is rising just typing that word.  She is now on watch every six months. 

Now rationally I know that a 10 - 15% chance of getting something sometime during a life time if not treated, is moot at best, but Kidlet and my views are a tad skewed. 

My next appointment is on the 4th and you bet I will be asking to see the results and asking pointed questions.  That's who I am.  Good thing they are used to me.

*************************************************************************

When I checked to see how Les was doing, I read her latest post and cracked up.  I was so happy to discover I was not the only one who watched the "people" in her life.  I like to imaging lives for mine.  Most are quite happy and content but those who cut me off or screech past me way over the speed limit are granted lives of misery, going home to hovels, scabbering around for crumbs while growing warts of various sizes on the ends of their noses, even if they are driving Mercedes. Chuckle.

And, I stole this from Les as well.  Watch it!!!!!  That's an order.

*************************************************************************
Made a trip to Lowe's for some spline.  It's clean and repair screen time.  One of the fall rituals that makes me know I will be able to smell the air once again!!!!

*************************************************************************

Found another Photoshop tutorial.  This one is subtly magical.

Before:
after:
Check out that pop in color.  Happy, happy.

*************************************************************************

And last but not least, Sue's been playing again and I love the results.  I think my October journal needs some major revamping.

*************************************************************************

There was a definite snap in the air this morning when we walked.  Fall is around the corner.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to say the hole in my back says it's very moot. Jk, it's not really a hole. And you know we would have been in every year, regardless. This is just something to be extra careful about. And so you rest easier, I found a bottle of 55spf sunscreen from when I went to Key West a while ago. I'll double check the expiration, but we've got this covered.
- Kidlet

Sue said...

A hole in the back is better than one in the head! I kid, Kidlet, but so glad that you (and mom!) are being vigilant.

And I am blushing ovah heah with the link-up!

I have a recipe for Greek Salad from the original Pappas restaurant in Tarpon Springs that I will send you, Jeanne. Chicken Lemon Rice soup too if you'd like!