Sunday, December 2, 2007

some things never change . . .

thankfully! Last night, Frank and I went to a little independent bookstore that opened this summer just a few miles from the house. Yep, in the midst of losing so many book nooks to B&N, Borders and the like, we get our very own hideaway in which to snoop around. It features both new and used books, mostly used, a coffee bar, great comfy seating, hand made crafts and a back room for cinematic events and hootenannies. Yep, you read that right. I doubt very much if my daughter even knows what a hootenanny is. And, the best part . . . they haven't changed since I went to college, except maybe for the prevalence of gray hair both on stage and in the audience. One of Frank's gym rat buddies was enjoying his singing debut and we went to cheer him on. We were originally only going to stay until John was finished and we could sneak out but we got sucked in . . . and had a blast. While most of the locals in the open-mike venue were folksingers, there was also a really good jazz singer, an opera singer who stepped out of her element and sang an hysterical little ditty about a woman so entranced with making herself beautiful that she forgot to dress before leaving the house . . .

While John was warming up, his wife asked me if I played or sang and I had to explain that I had not one musical bone in my entire body. She then asked what kind of music I preferred. While my quick reply was "eclectic", I started to think about the last six songs I downloaded from iTunes: The Blacksmith Blues by Ella Mae Morse, Bubbly by Colbie Caillat, Dance Tonight by Paul McCartney, The Sweet Escape by Gwen Stefani, Someone is Missing at Christmas by Anne Cochran and Here We Go Again by Country Joe and the Fish. Yep, definitely eclectic.

So, I am happy some things are coming around again in my life time so that Frank and I can share them together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeanne, that sounds like so much fun and such a fun place to go roam around in! I LOVE things like that and wish we had some place around here similar to your hideaway! Enjoy!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I hate to prove you right on this one, but... hootenanny? I didn't even realize that was an organized event, I just thought it was... what? A bunch of people having a random good time? Maybe a little too loud and a little too drunk?

But is this the bookstore that I applied at? Humph.

And I have to admit, that as someone from my generation, B&N is pretty dang awesome.