Chapter 1:
The 9TS and I were standing in the driveway last night chatting with our neighbors, (hi Nancy!) when Frank's cell rang . . . it was one very tearful kidlet. So I excused myself to see what was causing this sea of tears. Injustice. Katie has been volunteering for the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life chapter, almost as long as she has been on campus. This year she is chair. This year is also the year her old ACS liaison retired and XXX came on board. The first thing XXX did was suggest she fire her co-chair, whom he simply did not like. Katie refused to fire Mike since they had successfully worked together as a team and XXX not liking him was not grounds for dismissal. Frustrations started to build as XXX failed to provide the chapter with the materials and support they needed to successfully function. Finally, yesterday, XXX marches into Katie's place of business, plops his body in a chair across from her desk and asks her to step down from her volunteer position. Yep. Fires her. He has replaced her with a freshman who just so happens to be the daughter of a family friend. Yikes.
I know that she was bound to run into the XXX's of the world sooner or later. I had just really hoped it would be later. I was never sure why those pompous souls whose power hungry mentality exist in the first place but they do. They crop up in the work place like lava from a volcano, blustering, sputtering and spreading destruction. I've met my share.
So I offered two options: quit or accept the proffered reassignment. Being a firm believer in not burning bridges, I pushed for the latter, also suggesting she help the new girl during the transition and continue to do her level best. (The 9TS offered two broken kneecaps!)
Chapter 2: (Instant background: Katie was offered her on-campus job this summer because, in part, her now boss was her campus adviser for RFL last year and knew her capabilities.) Needless to say, when her boss heard the reason for Katie's tears, the ground rumbled. They have decided to fight the decision. Not sure where Katie gets her chutzpah but I am so proud of her.
P.S. Katie got an email from her replacement who, it turns out, neither requested the job nor wants it. She feels she is too shy, too new and too unprepared. I like this kid.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Man, people can be outright mean and nasty and selfish! I am so glad she is standing up for herself, I hope my girls will be able to do that! You raised her well!
Post a Comment