Sunday, October 12, 2008

one snake, two snake, see my wake . . .

This morning, as every Sunday morning, I went grocery shopping. Unlike most Sundays, a large tub of Kaukauna Port Wine Cheese spread hopped into my cart along with a box of Ritz . . . nice buttery Ritz crackers . . . So I had some for breakfast . . . and lunch . . . and . . . Then came the major case of guilt. And, since we had just yesterday, readied my bike for the season, I thought I would take a ride up the street and checkout the new sidewalks they have been building for the last year. Halfway to my destination, I spied the first one. Big and black and wiggly . . . I just caught sight of him slithering his way into the brush. Yuck! I am not a fan of snakes. Knowing that was surely the last of the unpleasant beasties, I kept on pedaling, when lo and behold, I spy ANOTHER one. And this one is crossing my path. I quickly gauged how fast we are both going and figured out he will have crossed over to the other side before I get there. And my calculations would have been correct if the darn snake hadn't panicked and doubled back . . . right under my wheels. My feet, of course, at this point in time, were safely on my handle bars, right next to my wildly thumping heart. ACK! Time to turn around and head home . . . frantically scanning in all directions like some swivel-headed loon.

All was fine and dandy until my still beating heart and I got to the last intersection. The new road, still under construction did not quite meet the lip of the sidewalk . . . think two inch gap. So I did what I had done for years . . . sped up and jumped the lip. Here in lies the problem. Apparently what is second nature at age ten is not so at age 60 and down I went. Of course it was my ego that was bruised more than anything . . . I think maybe it's time to put my bike away for the season. I need a glass of wine.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ooooooooooooooooh! I read this out loud to Mark and Katie and they both said "Ewwwwwwwwww!" We are people of few words in this house! lol I would have been frantically scanning AND SCREAMING the whole way back after riding over one! And I thought the multitude of spiders in the past week was bad! I'll take them over snakes any day!

Anke said...

I must be one of the few people who don't mind snakes, in fact I think they are pretty cool as long as they are not poisonous.
You could have broken your neck, gf! I hope you didn't bruise yourself too badly! Funny story!