Monday, March 2, 2009

goodness in the tummy . . .

My friend Laura, has been feeding me Mexican flavored recipes for a while now, from a book she got many moons ago when first married. We've become attached to her choices. Even Katie. The other day, I received a brown paper package in the mail addressed from Wisconsin. To my utter delight, it was a copy of the 40th Anniversary Recipe Collection, from the makers of Pace Picante Sauce. The very same recipe book she'd been using all these years. Her husband found it in a book store and knowing how much we enjoyed it's contents, snagged us a copy. Hooray and thank you Dennis.

Yesterday when I was making out the week's grocery list, the 9TS requested a beef free week . . . he, having exceed his allotted consumption in the previous few days. Out came THE book. And tonight, before heading to the movies, I made the Southwest Skillet Supper over Laura's rice. OK, so technically, its called Rio Grande Rice, but we've been calling it Laura's rice for so long, the name has stuck. Yummo! Talk about low fat goodness . . . the 9TS was a happy camper and pronounced it a "do again" which means it had been added to our permanent list of must eats. And so, I must share.

Southwest Skillet Supper

1 medium onion cut into 1/2 inch wedges
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 cups diced cooked chicken
2 cups zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium red or green pepper, cut into 1-1/4 inch strips
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Pace picante sauce.

Cook onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is tender. Add chicken, zucchini and pepper; sprinkle with cumin and salt. Pour picante sauce over chicken mixture; mix well. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are crisp tender and most of liquid has evaporated, about 3 to 4 minutes. Make 4 servings. 180 calories per serving.

Laura's Rice (Rio Grande Rice)

1-1/2 cup regular long grain rice.
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 -3/4 cups hot chicken broth
1/3 cup Pace picante sauce
1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced (optional)

In large saucepan over low heat, cook rice, onion and garlic in oil until rice is lightly browned, stirring frequently. Stir in hot chicken broth, picante sauce and, if desired, carrot. Cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

NOTE: This house is Italian. We use olive oil for everything. So 86 the veggie oil and butter. And since I don't have the same restraints as the 9TS, I topped my plate with a goodly dose of sour cream and taco sauce. I'm telling you, this is excellent. And yes, I will be taking a prevacid before bed. So worth it!!!

Thanks so very much Laura and Dennis.

1 comment:

Anke said...

That sounds so yummy, I love chicken recipes! that rice sounds really good too, gotta try it!