Thursday, December 15, 2011

so here's the deal . . .

apparently the Yervoy was a flop.  Well, not only a flop but the prime reason for the 9TS's current major discomforts.

Mel and his cousin Anoma have been having a field day.  They've been swimming around in his ribs and vacationing in what is left of his right lung and apparently cavorting in his left lung as well.  Sigh.

Those little explosions on the surface of his belly?  Mel and Anoma playing with fireworks.  I really do despise that dastardly duo.

Our plan of attack?  First step, increase his long release morphine and get an appointment with pain intervention doctor at Moffitt to do a nerve block.

And then come our choices:

Option One:  Anti-PD1.   Here's the problem.  Like Yervoy (IPI), it irritates the bowels.  So we need to stand clear of any immune stimulating trials.  And two, they have no trials currently available for people who have responded with such a severe case of colitis to the Yervoy as did the 9TS.   So, not an option.

Second. Try him on a Dentritic cell vaccine.  The catch?  He has to be weaned off all steroids first.  It's the weaning off that is the issue.  We've tried three times already . . . but we have a schedule in place and will try yet again.

Third.  We could try chemo but it just doesn't have a good track record against arch nemesis, Mel and Anoma.  We might get a 10% to 20% decrease in growth and Temodar is easy for the body to tolerate but it is not a cure.  To be clear, Dr. K, says. "there is no cure."  Blunt, but fact.

Fourth.  Do nothing but palliative care.

Our options give us much food for thought . . . I can't help but wish we could starve M & A.   to their untimely and much desired death.  Amen.

I'm off to try and get my head together.  I love my sloth.  This sucks.

4 comments:

Sue said...

(((Jeanne, Frank and Katie)))

I wish I had a magic wand to make your wish come true.

Anonymous said...

Jeanne,
I'm so sorry the results weren't better. Remember, I'm here if you need to talk.
I haven't known you long but I love you both.
WC

Tinka said...

Oh Jeanne, I am so very sorry that the test results weren't as hoped for. Sending you many, many
{{{{{hugs}}}}} and double the prayers. And yes, it does suck!

farabee said...

Well....prayer will cure it! Continuing!