Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Newest Cat Adventure


Frank’s oldest was getting ready to move to a new apartment on the river. Everything was a go until her cat Chauncey developed an oozing lump under his jaw and was miserable and not eating. Not good. So before we left to load all of her worldly possessions onto the truck, she brought Chauncey to me to take to the vet. My vet would not see him until the following week since he had never seen this particular cat before. Huh??? Haven’t I been coming there for the last eight years??? So I called the Animal Cat Clinic, about which I had heard good things and they agree to see Chauncey, if I would leave him there for the day. So here I am in ratty moving clothes, half drenched from the rain with a terribly sick cat that I am trying to explain I know little about because he isn’t really mine and his mom is in the process of moving. Can you see the eyebrows rising?? Yes, they wanted a deposit. So I leave my cell number and head off to help with the move. Now would be the time to interject the fact that my cell is partially on the fritz and has developed a new penchant for turning itself off at the most inopportune times – like when the new vet calls to consult. Yikes. Now I'm sure they think I dumped poor Chauncey and took off never to be seen again. I finally call since I had not heard from them and Chauncey needs to spend the night. It is either an abscessed tooth or a cat bite. They will do the surgery the next day. Mean while, his hair was so matted, he is now sporting a lion cut. Frank and I leave to pick him up at 4:30. Poor beastie is doing as well as can be expected for a cat that is still groggy from pain meds and anesthesia. At least this time, I am dressed like a human being and am dry. I hand them my credit card laughing about how I must have appeared to be one of those people who just dump cats. Of course as I am saying this, I am tucking away my receipt for the charges, that turns out to be their receipt. . . . Thankfully, they have a sense of humor and I now finally have a new vet!!!

p.s. He is now in our bathroom waiting to be picked up later this evening and purring so loudly I can hear him from the next room. My beasties are wearing a trench in the floor running back and forth between the two bathroom doors trying to sneak a peak at the visitor. Have I mentioned that Chauncey is Moaky's granddaddy?? I wonder if somehow, they know??

No comments: