Monday, October 15, 2007

faith . . .

Today was a day of remembrances. A day that was a testimony to one man's strength of character. A day to remind us that good men beget good children who become good friends. A day to realize that we shall all, at some point, leave our earthly bodies for those provided by our God in heaven. This morning as I sat at the funeral of my friend Jennifer's father, I could not help but remember it was only this past February that I sat in that very same chapel saying goodbye to her mother. This is a hard year for my friend, Jennifer. But I know, that her husband and boys will band together, and with her faith, as well as her father's strength which she has inherited, she will get by.

As we left to run our mundane errands, I dreaded going home where in the silence, I would remember my own father and the loss would once again flood over me. We made up more errands to run. Finally there was nothing to do but to head home. There on the doorstep was a USPS box leaning against the old screen door. Had I ordered something and forgotten?

It was from my dear friend Kelli. She is a photographer. A taker of stunning images. She captures the soul and emotion of inanimate objects and brings them to life. A couple of months back, she shared a photo with me that she had taken in Mississippi. I fell in love with it. Though it was but a single tree, it evoked a strength, a solitude, a gift from God. As I opened the box, there it was, an 8 x 10 copy of the photograph and matting. Also enclosed were a few words of explanation . . . "this photo was taken in December, 2006 while the Pinelake Choir was doing some mission work and concerts in the Bay St. Louis, Mississippi area. The area in which this tree stood was surrounded by rubble. There was a tree stump the size of a large truck that has been up rooted by the storm laying in the middle of the road. Buildings were nothing more than piles of concrete and loose wires. If you look carefully in the distance behind this tree, you can see the barges in the water to repair the bridge that had collapsed. In the midst of all the destruction of man made things, this tree, created by the Lord, survived. Looking at this tree reminds me that we, as Christians are much the same, and to keep my faith in the Lord, not in things of this earth."

. . . I thought how perfectly Kelli understood and I know in my heart that this amazing present arrived on this very day for a reason. Thank you Kelli, I will cherish it always.





For a peek at more of Kelli's work, visit her site here. Crigler Weston Photography

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Wow. That is awesome. Isn't it amazing that the tree survived Katrina? A gorgeous photo.

Anonymous said...

Kelli's work is amazing! The note she included are powerful words to live by. Keep the faith my friend! {{{{{Jeanne}}}}} I'm sorry for your friend Jennifer's and your loss.

Leonore