Tuesday, November 6, 2007

lookie. lookie . . .

I have been searching for another piece of "storage" for the loft. . . yes, I know, I have way too many goodies, ergo the need for more storage. Who knew I had this much scrapbooking stuff stashed under the bed, in the closets, around the corner and under trees? I have dragged Frank to new furniture stores, used furniture stores, galleries and estate sales. Finally, Katie and I stumbled on the perfect piece at a junk shop on the way to the art show last weekend. So much better than anything I had seen before and the price was oh so right.
The only problem is painting it. I have always has this 'thing' about natural wood . . . leave it alone . . . painting wood is a mortal sin . . . catch my drift? And here I am with this piece. It is old . . . but not well constructed . . . we are guessing made by a farmer. It was originally designed as a secretary desk with a fold up writing surface that has long since been dismantled. You can still see where the hinges were and where it locked into place at the top. But, it is still what I was looking for and I am a happy camper. All except for the painting part. The loft is blue and white . . . so my new piece will be painted white and it is freaking me out. Sigh. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Now see, I like the "naturalness" of this! I think it would go very nicely in your blue and white room with the brown accent wall. With the crown mouldings that aren't there yet!

Sue

Anonymous said...

How 'bout staining it a darker brown to coordinate with your brown accent wall, instead of painting it white?

And I am so jealous of that piece! I would love to have something like it in my space...which is already to full as it is!! LOL!