Thursday, November 1, 2007

we're back . . .

Never mind the Nor'easter or Tropical Storm Noel . . . the blinding rain, high winds, radical drop in temperature. . . we ran away. It was great. I mean GREAT. The weather actually broke late on our first night. But back to the beginning. There we were watching TV in bed . . . BORED. So half heartedly, I said, time to run away again. Got a huge smile on that one, so while he finished watching some football game, I threw a dart at my computer screen and landed on a boutique hotel on St. Simons Island next to the light house.



I never really did understand what a boutique hotel was. Now I know. It's a hotel where each room is different. Ours was full of antiques. The armoire was stunning. But, so was the new price tag complete with bar code. Seems antiques cost $860. Giggle. And you could actually own this room full of barely aged antiques for a mere $220,000. Thankfully, they lent it to us for two nights for a heck of a lot less . . . it being off season and all.


St. Simons Island is a really neat place. The most popular form of transportation seems to be bicycles. There are bike paths from the village at one end to Fort Frederica on the other. In between are gorgeous homes old and new, fun shopping (yes I did some damage), churches galore and wonderful restaurants.





The next day we decided to head over to the more famous Jekyll Island. It has an amazing collection of old monies homes now restored but not much more. Then we accidentally stumbled across the driftwood trees on the north end of the island. I was in awe. What a wonderful spot.



After heading back to St. Simons, we tried to visit Sea Island. Nope. It is private, private, private. They unceremoniously showed us the door. Ouch!!!

The next day, on our way home, we got to have lunch with my one and only. What could be better. Oh, yeah, that's Frank with one of the goodies from Katie's halloween package.

So now we are back home, watching TV in bed again. Happier. More content. Until next time.

1 comment:

Sue said...

You have such a fun life! I want to be you when I grow up. Oh no, wait. I'm not growing up!!

Sue