Saturday, September 27, 2008

cringe . . .

the other night was our annual Homeowners Association meeting. I generally go to watch the fireworks. I know, I know, I should be there out of civic duty, but, nope . . . it's the fireworks that gets my blood stirring. With only thirty six households tucked away in this small enclave, this isn't exactly the stuff senatorial dreams are made of. At the last meeting, one of my less beloved but certainly more exuberant neighbors threatened to quit as chair of the association three times before she realized that no one was imploring her to stay and finally really did quit. Ha! She also tried to usurp the Secretary which caused yet another donnybrook. Let me tell you, there is great entertainment value to be had in this microcosmic political venue for a bored housewife.

While she decided not to grace us with her presence, another neighbor with a meticulously manicured lawn, took up the slack with a tirade about the condition of his neighbor's yard. Three sentences into said rant and I felt my first cringe. You see, while he was displaying photos of the offending weeds, recalcitrant leaves and mold encrusted tiles, at each shot, I was cringing, each deeper and more intense than the first, until I found myself wishing I could merely slither under the table only to reappear after said meeting was adjourned. If he was upset about his neighbors yard, he would be all but apocalyptic about mine. Where a photo showed two dead banana leaves, I have an entire dead tree, where they showed small patches of weeds, I have fields! Now if you've followed this blog for very long, you know my house is never going to win an award from Good Housekeeping. No, I don't qualify for an episode of Clean House . . . everything being rather neat and orderly, but the dust bunnies and cobwebs . . . ah, those are rampant. And so my philosophy or rather lack thereof sort of filters out into the yard. Before you even go there, no, you won't find an old tufted sofa/rocker on the front porch sporting errant springs and missing stuffing, there are no vintage 1952 washers, no rusted wheelbarrows, no stacks of half used paint cans. But there are weeds to be pulled, sidewalks to be edged, and the truth be told, my yard is in much worse condition than the offending neighbor's. And as they decided to forward said neighbor with a copy of the covenants clearly stating that should the yards not be kept to standard, the association will right the wrong and send the owner the bill . . . I will be the one hiding behind my front door waiting for my bell to ring, to receive my notice . . . cringe.

4 comments:

Sue said...

We've got something similar going on over here. About the height of hedges. @@ It's on the news ad nauseum every night.

Yet another reason I would never live in a deed-restricted community. :::Don't think they'd like mah chickens!:::

Michelle said...

Oh boy! If my HOA ever has a meeting (we've yet to here of one) then we might be in trouble too! The guy next to us has a magnificent green thumb and we.....don't. Our saving grace may be the yard across the street with a patch of weeds almost as tall as my child! Just one small patch and they are definitely weeds, even *I* can tell that! lol

Anonymous said...

Yes, but our yard would have been a lot more exciting to play in growing up if it had those lovely additions to it!

P.S. - I have now sneezed four times in a row. What would that be?

Anke said...

I am with Katie on this one. These associations would drive me nuts. You can't even do what you want with your own property? The heck with that. They better not come and visit me!!! I do my stuff when there is no other way, but that's my choice. You should see all my beautiful fall weeds! Send Katie my way for more sneezes