Monday, December 14, 2009

it's beginning to look . . .

a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go . . . la la la.

Our Reindeeraff is back in residence:



The tree is up:



Speaking of trees, I am a non-theme tree dresser. No solid gold trees, no floral masterpieces, no flocked feathers. Almost every ornament has a story. An engraved rocking horse for Katie's second Christmas from Nanny:



the pewter dangles from Mary in Nova Scotia, the karate Santa that struck the 9TS's fancy, the reindeer Katie made in first grade. Some are simply those overpriced nuggets sold at middle school fund raisers:



But even they bring back a flood of memories of mathematically challenged moms recalculating order blanks, trying to match funds to orders, muttering about checks without phone numbers.

and other miscellaneous trinkets:



and goodies all have meaning.



Tucked away and not used because of four rather rambunctious beasties are two gold and silver glass Christmas balls from the Montclair city tree that my mother had heisted as a child. Also the tree topper from when I was a tiny. But we don't use that topper, pretty and sentimental as it is.

We use this one:



Made from coffee filters and tin foil when Katie was little and money was tight. Long before the other arrived lovingly wrapped in tissue when my father divested himself of the house on the lake and its memories.

Yup, it's beginning to look like Christmas and unlike last year, the spirit is welcome and warm.

Disclaimer: Yes, Virginia, that is a fake tree. Makes me sad not to smell that wonderful pine aroma but they just don't last long in the heat. The poor things start shedding the second they're brought in the door. And then there was the year Snoopy fussed and fussed in the tree like a possessed demon kitty. When we dragged it back outside I finally saw the three inch flat beetle that had been driving him to distraction. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stand & stare at those "theme" trees in the store. I wonder if this could be the year I make the change. But sentiment wins out everytime. Each of my ornaments has a story of its own. How could I ever choose to leave those memories stored in a box? Afterall, those memories are the threads that weave the tapestry of my life!
Paula

joanieb147 said...

Ditto what Paula said. I even keep the handmade snowman that one of my cats mutilated years ago! And I'm a fan of artificial trees, ever since my cat climbed the only one I ever had and got sap all over his paws. Cats and Christmas; they go together!