I woke up with a jolt this morning. I smelled smoke. Half awake, it startled me until I realized it was just the great outdoor ablaze. There are 44 fires in our county alone. It is dry out there folks. As in I can't remember the last time it rained. And I don't mean to be flippant with the word 'just' but I was very relieved the fire was not inside the house.
Joanie called to suggest that, since the smoke was so thick and the view overcast, she drive on our outing instead of taking the little red Miata. And then I saw it out the window, the little *plink*, *plink* of something damp hitting the pavement. RAIN!!!!
It had been previously decided that four of us girls would be dining al fresco on the water today. At Boondocks to be exact, because neither Lee nor Linda had ever eaten there and it certainly fit the criteria of eating on the water.
Look at this:
You can't get much more on the water unless you own one of the boats and were offering us a sumptuous repast on deck. Would you do that please??? See all the *plink* *plink* *plink* on the water. Wonderful, wonderful water.
And so as we noshed on things like fried basa:
and chatted and told stories and lied a little here and there. Well, maybe I was the one lying a tad. I tend to stretch the truth now and again. And Lee just brings out the worst in me. Hee hee hee.
But this little tale does happen to be true and took place at Boondocks many, many years ago. The 9TS and I were down there with my father and Kidlet for our ritual Saturday lunch. The benched tables were packed with diners and we were just about finished with our meal. There was the kind of a lull in the generalized clatter that happens when everyone has dug into their eats and found themselves quite satisfied. And it seems one five year old Kidlet was so satisfied that she let out a burp. No little thing this burp, it was worthy of Yertle and shook the outbuildings. The deck started to wobble and first one diners head and then another and another popped up from their fare to see from whence such an enormous belch had emanated. All eyes focus on a rather pleased Kidlet. All eyes including those of my 82 year old father. A man who set great store by all things mannerly and correct. A man whose eyes clearly said, 'I am not amused', and he was not.
Poor Kidlet, center of attention she did not want was clearly befuddled by the turn of events. It's OK, Kidlet, you graduated from high school and went on to college and the earth did not swallow us up. And it makes for good retelling every time Boondocks is mentioned.
Burp!
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Jeanne,
I don't know how you do it! The only picture I saw you take was the one of the sign and you didn't use that! Your food looks much better in the picture than it really did! I enjoyed "slumming" with you all. I bring out the worst in you???? Good thing we didn't know each other when we were divorced!
Wild Child
I can almost taste the basa! LOVE it! There's a new fish on the market that is similar to basa but cheaper. Called Swai. Winn Dixie has it ovah heah.
We got some of the much needed plips and plops yesterday as well. Right at 2" worth.
YAY for rain and friends and Boondocks and basa and bad influence!
LOL at your story about Katie...reminds me of one Sunday brunch at the country club. My then-2 yr old sister, so sweet and innocent looking, let out a man-sized belch that had my father glaring at all the older children, demanding to know who had done that. If not for her laughing in delight at causing such consternation, Daddy would never have believed she was the culprit.
Post a Comment