every Friday, Nook releases a new book . . . freebie . . . all you have to do is download it. I've actually read some really good books that way . . . also, some real sinkers. I quickly learned to read the reviews before I download. Nope, not interested in werewolves, vampires, throbbing members or alabaster globes . . . oops, am I allowed to repeat that on my blog???? Of course I am, it's my blog.
This Friday, I ran into a snag. The book refused to download. I tried five or six times. I rebooted. I prayed to the heavens. I murmured bad words under my breath. I stomped around the house and then broke down and called the Barnes and Noble help line. Something I loathe to do. Nothing particular against B&N, I am just not a fan of hour long conversations with the help folks of the world, although they do come in handy on occasion.
Her name, as she identified herself, was Princess. I guess the queen was busy. We repeated all the steps I had tried before, minus the verbal mutterings, still to no avail. Finally, she had me rekey in my credit card number. That seemed to work as my new book began to download and I watched the percentages fly by. Until of course, we got hung up at 92%. Sigh. But Princess prevailed and I finally received my tome.
The problem was, I couldn't get Princess out of my mind. I mean really, who names their kid Princess?? A nickname for a sweet little pink bundle, yes, but a grown woman eking out a living on a hot line for dummies????
But then I remembered a local family who named their sons: King, Baron, Duke and Earl. To each his own and I must admit, they are far better than Clarence or Percival, both of which were in contention when my father was born. Luckily cooler heads prevailed.
So parents, please, for my sake as well as yours . . . unless you want some mad woman ranting on her blog about your choice of names for your children . . . think twice . . . maybe even three times . . . before you choose the moniker for your heirs. Thank you.
Sunday, June 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kinda like the cs rep I talked to on the phone that told me her name was Monikee. Pronounced Mona-key. I had to stifle a laugh and not ask, " is that the common spelling of Monikee?!"
Or the woman who named her child Chlamidia. WHAT??? Seriously? Who in their right mind would name their child after an...oh...nevermind. @@
Post a Comment