I decided today was the day. I was finally going to pull everything off my old desktop and stash it on an EHD. Then move everything from the EHD to my new Mac, reformat the EHD for Mac and set it up using Time Machine. Then disassemble the old computer, re-hook up the router and be back in business.
Things didn’t go quite as planned. First, it turns out I am a back-up fanatic . . . same files in 90 million places. I must have had seven different files marked ‘Digi’. Huge massive files. Does that surprise anyone? I spent a lot of time manually comparing and deleting duplicates. The same applied to my stash of fonts. I am not done. This it seems, will keep me from boredom for quite some time. Why don’t I let my iMac do it for me? Do the words 'control freak' mean anything to you?
My old Dell is now sitting on the floor in pieces. Each clearly marked so it can be easily put back together as soon as we decide where it is going to reside: Kidlet’s room vs. the man cave. The current hitch is the proposed four hours it is going to take for Time Machine to back up the huge amount of gigabytes I poured into it. Good thing we are working with two terabyte hard drives. Yes, I am a insane.
Then there was the immense pile of fur and dust balls that had accumulated in the tangle of cords under my desk. Ah-chew! So happy I now have a tower-less, predominately cordless iMac. And finally, we have the issue of reconnecting to the net. If at first you don't succeed, hit the help button. Thank you, Apple.
Now if I can just find an updated driver for my five year old scanner . . .
*****************************************************
Sloth Update: Another.not.so.very.good.day. We’ll try again tomorrow. In the meantime, I am starting a spread sheet. His medical bills are flying in from all over and I swear they are in Greek. Who decided that doctors have to have their very own billing system and can’t play nice with hospital billings. For every procedure, we get at least three bills from the hospital and a separate bill from the ordering physician and each visit is to at least three departments. You do the math. We have good insurance but this is mind boggling and I am easily befuddled.
Drat, I am out of wine.
Saturday, October 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Poor Sloth. Sending a gentle hug across the state.
Post a Comment