Thursday, April 29, 2010

the making of crispys 1, 2, 3 . . .

So the kidlet comes home last week with a bag of marshmallows and a box of Rice Crispy's. That means only one thing in my book: Rice Crispy treats . . . something I have not had the pleasure of concocting in all of my 61 years. But something that seems to have sustained my kidlet in lieu of decent meals for the last several months. Does this reek of college student or what????

It was a joint effort. She cooked . . . I gleefully snapped away.

First you melt the butter in a teflon pan. Teflon being the important adjective here as you will soon learn:


the you add those glorious puffs of meltable goodness, the marshmallows:


and stir gently until covered in butter. No calories here:


oh, and retrieve any escapees who seem to know instinctively what is in store for them:


Then you merely wait until you have marshmallow soup:


Now add 7,952 snapping, crackling and popping crispys. Ear plugs are helpful at this stage as they seem to know they are about to be tarred and feathered minus the feathers:


Stir vigorously and spoon into pan:


No shot of stirring vigorously? Have you tried this recipe lately? Stirring this little puppy is like walking uphill in thigh high molasses on a cold day, you need both hands on the pot and two more on the spoon.

Did you forget to spray the spatula before trying to smooth down the mixture? I did and it's apparently a crucial step, as the mixture went into spider monkey mode and stuck to EVERYTHING it came into contact with. I soon found all ten fingers glued together, the spoon adhered to the stove top, and a passing cat trying to lick some out of her fur.

Let cool and consume.

All in all, it was an interesting afternoon even if I am still finding odd clumps of mixture around the kitchen . . . .

3 comments:

Kelli said...

oh yum!!!!
I want one!

pretty please?

joanieb147 said...

Hahahaaa!! Worth every bit of effort, don't you think?

Sue said...

I already had the schtuff for Rice Krispy treats on my shopping list for today because of the commercial the other night on TV. Now I REALLY have to buy it because this post only made me want them more!