So it was a damp and dreary morning when I headed out to exercise with Joanie. My cell was stuffed in a plastic bag since I was pretty sure this was going to be one wet walk. As soon as I opened the door, my eyes focused on the garbage can to the right of the driveway waiting for pick-up. But it wasn't the can per se that caught my attention. It was the three foot turkey vulture perched on its lip that startled me. As I tried to fumble my phone out of its baggy to get a shot, the vulture took wing. But worse, so did three others from our front tree. Four vultures hanging in the yard. Not a good omen. Once out the door, I looked around. Shocked, there was yet another on the ridge line of the roof.
It was a toss up as to who scared who more. He too took to the air . . . along with two more of his ilk. By now I was freaked and calling Joanie, sputtering something about attack of the killer vultures. Finally, I gathered my courage and walked around the house to see if there was something dead that had attracted these not so lovely creatures. Nothing.
With trepidation, Joanie and I started our walk . . . visions from The Birds fluttering uneasily through my head. Yes, dear reader, I had worked my little brains into a frenzy. By the time we got home, I was certain the grim reaper would meet me at the door.
Thankfully, my menagerie of three cats and a sloth were all fine and demanding their breakfasts and while the sun never did come out, life as we know it, rolled peacefully through the day. The End.
Friday, January 27, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You big sissy. Vultures won't hurt you, just make sure you stay in motion so they don't think you're dead meat!
I walked on the beach this morning, IN THE RAIN!
If it doesn't kill you, it will make you stronger. Yeah, right!
WC
HUGS!
That's the other thing always swarming around campus - students and vultures. To clarify, I'm talking about the birds, not the reporters and politicians from the GOP debate.
Oh, and the geese. Hate the geese.
- Kidlet
I certainly understand your trepidation...I'd be thinking all kinds of crazy things if I encountered that many! Some time ago, I was driving down a street and there were 4 or 5 of them smack-dab in the middle of the road and they refused to move despite my honking the horn several times and moving the car towards them. Finally had to go around them. Stupid ugly creatures!
Post a Comment