Friday, January 6, 2012

carpenters, cats and cold air . . .

I'm trapped like a rat in my bedroom with three totally freaked out beasties clinging to the underside of my box spring by the tips of their little tiny claws.  Bear is wide eyed and frantic, Ninja a tad more stoical but none the less, twice her normal size.  Pippin is, well Pippin.  She is dancing between the bedroom and bath, her brain churning in 90 different directions goaded by the sounds outside the doors.

The men are installing the new air conditioning unit.  Now.  Hooray.  It will be an all day job.  If all goes right, they will be done by 6:30 and we will be warm once again.

Meanwhile I swear the cats have already picked up on the fact that two of them are headed to the vet's office this afternoon.  I think they will all need a little kitty valium.

And speaking of critters, the installers just let us know that the attic is housing a colony or two or three of carpenter ants.  EEK.  I hope they are building something useful up there!!!!   A kitty condo maybe or a second kitchen.  I always thought it would be nice to have a wet bar upstairs . . .

I just keep telling myself tonight we will be warm and toastie once again.  And I remind myself that things could be worse . . . what if we lived in Alaska???  But then, we wouldn't have our gifted carpenter ants building creative accoutrements for the those too lazy to go downstairs for ice.

Over and out, spaceman.

1 comment:

Tinka said...

I think you deserved to wimp out...but I feel guilty that I've only made it to the gym once in the past week (on New Year's Day!)and couldn't even make it 1.5 miles in 31 minutes!! In my defense, though, I had expended quite a lot of energy the day before that moving, lifting, carrying, sorting, etc. stuff in preparation for my new mattress set and was still very sore! But, thanks to your motivation, I will be kicking it in gear and going to the gym at least 3x a week! I just have to remind myself that I really do feel better once I'm done with the treadmill!