Thursday, March 17, 2011

my jewelry . . .

took a beating on our trip.

The first mistake I made was leaving my favorite trinket from Rhodes on my wrist when we went in the ship's salt water pool. It seems the sulfuric acid works with the copper in sterling silver and turns it BLACK. Gah. And how exactly did I know this? Because the jeweler on board told me when I asked him if he could remove it, which he couldn't but has since been repaired at home.

But the jeweler noted my necklace. The one I haggled for in Cayo Levantada and found my high school Spanish severely lacking, but that I liked anyway . . . it was cheap!! Finally 'got' that the backing was coconut but for the life of me, I couldn't understand what the top section was.

Back to the jeweler. He asked if I knew what it was. 'No idea', I replied. 'A sea slug', he answered. 'A what', I squealed? 'A sea slug', he reiterated. 'Why is it blue then', I gulped. 'They dye them', said he.

With a little bit of eww factor hanging from my neck, we wandered into dinner a little less enthusiastically.

By the time I got home, I was really curious and looked at thousands of photos on Google of sea slug jewelry. Nada. Then I came upon a little squib from a gent who had also been accosted by the vendors at Cayo Levantada, who liked their blue beetle shell jewelry. Still nothing under Google images. I was leaning toward petrified cockroach but I ain't looking THAT up.

So whether it is slug, beetle or cockroach, I still like it. I will still wear it. I just won't get it wet!!! But if anyone knows for sure what it is, I would really like to know.

No comments: