Wednesday, March 23, 2011

under the weather . . .

so what the heck does that mean . . . under the weather? Someone caught in a rain shower, goes home, gets a cold and is categorized as 'under the weather'???? If someone getting struck with lightening could be said to be 'under the weather', I would get it. They'd probably be six feet under . . . the weather. But where did the phrase come from?

Aha! if I look it up, it still does not make a whole lot of sense:

"Under the weather: Colloquial expression for sick or ill as, for example, to be under the weather with the flu. The phrase "under the weather" came from British sailing ships. When a sailor became ill he was confined below deck out of the weather, so it was said that he was under the weather."

Why don't they call it 'under the deck'? Or simply 'confined', but then I suppose someone would think him pregnant and indisposed. He is neither.

Whatever, the 9TS is 'under the weather'. Not literally, because of course, we do not live on a boat but you get the idea.

He is ailing. Gastritis. GERD. Gee, do you think it unreasonable for someone under a huge amount of stress to have a little tummy upset? I think he is entitled. And so, he has taken to bed and snoring soundly, leaving me little to do but blog. And you know what happens when I blog.

Does the poor sloth get no privacy? Never! Snort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon, 9TS. Don't make me come down there!! On second thought....MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!! LOL....

Paula

Anonymous said...

You should kiss his tummy, make it feel better :)
- Goober