This is an announcement. I interrupt your regularly scheduled blog to bring you a brief blurb...
My dad's my hero. Several years in the police force, a third-degree black belt in his sixties, and a cancer-survivor to boot. No matter what he encounters, he overcomes it.
But my mom's my unsung hero. She asks for one day to herself (Tuesdays, should you be wondering) and seemingly spends the rest of her time supporting me, me dad, and yes, even the cats. It's hard to even think about all the things she does for us, because, well... she's everywhere.
She's the mom who supported me at track meets, despite the late endings and the cold temperatures. She's the mom who sat for endless hours at karate tournaments, even though she hated every minute. She's the mom who let me make my own decisions about school, and never pressured me into my choice of taking advanced classes. She's the mom that sat across from me crying, feeling my pain, when I was at my worst.
Most importantly though, she's the mom that tells me what I need to hear when it isn't what I want to hear. It's not always enjoyed at the time, and I might have taken my anger out on her a time or two..., but I always appreciate it in the end. It's what's helped me become the person I am today (not too shabby, if I say so myself) and make no mistake, it's what'll help me become a better person in the future. Because no matter how "independent" I'm supposed to be, you can bet I'll always have my mom's number memorized.
Happy Mother's Day, mom.
Love,
The Kidlet
... I now return you to your regularly scheduled blog.
Sunday, May 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
awwwwwwwwww - what a lovely tribute!
Kidlet, I don't "know" you but I love how you let your mom know what a good mother she is. You're a good child! :-)
Well, that was the BEST thing I read on this Mother's Day!! And you seem to have inherited the writing gene too!
XO, Kidlet!
awww....you give me hope. I have two teenagers and they don't always want to hear what I have to say (but they do HAVE to listen!) Maybe they, too, will feel this way someday. A very happy Mother's Day to your Mom...she raised a fine young lady.
That was beautiful. Your Mom should be (and is) very proud of the person you are. Thanks for sharing that with us.
Paula
She raised herself a pretty good Kidlet! What a special tribute to her.
Now I REALLY know why I wanted a daughter! Although my 3 sons do a pretty good job of expressing themselves.
I'll meet you someday and we'll talk about EVERYTHING!
You certainly seem to take after your Mom and that's a good thing!
WC
Post a Comment