Thursday, December 9, 2010

shhhhhhhhhhh . . .

my Christmas present came in the mail today. And since there is only a 48 hour window to return damaged merchandise . . . well, you can see the pickle I was in. I mean seriously, what were my options? And it's not exactly like I didn't know what I was getting. Right? So do you blame me if there was a little slit in the packaging here and a little loosening of some tape there until sitting in my hands was a brand new AF18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di11 VC lens. It was begging me for a test drive. "Shoot with me." "Let me show you what I can do." "You know you want to." . . . said the saucy little mechanism. And so I did. Just a couple of frames to check it out. Making sure all was right. YES!!!

And while I understand that it is not the type of lens a professional would use, it will be perfect for me. For 12 years, I schlepped around its second cousin, thrice removed. I was a one lens momma with my spiffy 28/300, but alas, it died as technology passed it up and left it in the dust by the side of the road. Not that it didn't take spectacular shots in its heyday. But it being an experimental crossover lens made for both film and digital, it was out of its league by the time my Canon EOS 50D came along.

But this puppy? It shoots clear, crisp shots. I am back in business. Of course, it won't be my only lens, I am quite enthralled with what my 50mm can do. But no more switching back and forth with different size lenses in one outing . . .

To be sure, the lens is neatly back in all of its wrapping mumbling, "Let me out again. Let me OUT! I will suffocate before the 25th." But a deal is a deal and it will just have to adjust and wait for Christmas like everyone else.

1 comment:

joanieb147 said...

Let it OUT! WE can't wait until Christmas to see what it can do!!